In Psalm 119:105, we read that God’s Word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. That truth begs the question, “Are you turning on the light in your life?” This Fall semester, I want to challenge our church to read the New Testament together, walking in the light of God’s Word each day. We’ll begin on Monday, August 13. Our plan will involve reading 2-4 chapters per day, Monday through Friday. Following this plan, we will complete the New Testament in 100 days of reading, finishing just before the New Year.
Would you join us? We know that God’s Word does not return void (Isaiah 55:11), and therefore I believe that if we will faithfully read Scripture as a church, God will be faithful to move in our midst. Here are some helpful hints...
- Be consistent.Like many other healthy habits, routines bring success. Find a good time of the day to read when you will have fewer distractions and can truly focus.
- Begin and end with prayer.Pray as you begin that God would help you to understand the Scripture as you read, through the power of the Holy Spirit who dwells within you. Pray as you conclude that you would have a clear grasp on how to apply His Word to your life that day. What do you need to believe or do in response to what you read?
- Take notes.Maybe you’re not a note taker or one to underline in your Bible but give it a try. Jot down some notes as you read of how God speaks to you and how you can apply the truths you encounter.
- Memorize and Meditate.Find a verse from your reading each day that God impresses on you and meditate on it through the day. Challenge yourself to memorize those verses.
- Keep at it.If you happen to get behind, don’t worry and most definitely don’t give up! Just pick back up with us on the plan and use the weekends to catch up. If you're starting after August 13, don't worry! Just read.
- Use helpful tools:Visit www.thebibleproject.com/explore/to watch video introductions to each book as we go. These will help you to understand the overall message and structure of each book before you begin to read.
Consistently reading through the Bible can be a challenge. Distractions will pop up. Other things will try to steal your time and attention. You’ll likely miss a day here or there. However, when you meet those challenges and overcome them, you’ll be glad you did.
God bless you as you faithfully read His Word!
Download the reading plan HERE.